bg 5

Lake Toxaway Methodist Church, a simple Gothic Revival-style frame building dating from 1912, overlooks scenic Lake Toxaway in the Blue Rdge Mountains of Transylvania County. Originally called Methodist Episcopal Church South, the building was erected by volunteer Methodist farmers using donated pine lumber and building supplies. The church, with its original weatherboard, Gothic-arched windows and six-sided belfry, is one of the most stylish and best preserved of the small group of historic churches of traditional frame construction surviving in this mountainous county. At the same time that the area was developing as a luxurious resort for wealthy industrialists, local farmers built this church with donated materials and volunteer labor on a lot given to them by Edward M. Jennings, the Pittsburgh developer who owned Lake Toxaway.